Sunday, August 8, 2010

Dinner Out

Going out to dinner is part of our lives and shouldn't be a sentence for bad fish. I've known for several days that we would be going out to dinner for a friend's birthday. Knowing that we would be going out on Saturday, I keep the calories on the low side Thursday and Friday. I didn't go hungry or suffer but I ate those things that I know are on the low side. When we arrived at a wonderful restaurant, one I love, I had banked 800 calories. I was prepared to order the salmon but I didn't. This is one foodie who knows how to cook and my salmon is good. So I ordered the lamb, my favorite at this restaurant. But I didn't order with reckless abandon. When the waiter asked, "Mashed potatoes or rice?" I said neither. I got extra veggies. Again he asked, "What dressing on your salad?" My reply was, "None." He made a remark about me being really good. He's right but not in the way he meant. It is good eating. About this time the other woman in the group asked me if I was on a diet. I just said no with no explanation. The truth is that I'm not on a diet. I'm just learning to eat well. It was a birthday so a decadent dessert was ordered for all to share. I participated. I had one bite. That's right just one.
What have I learned? Going out to dinner is fun, even when you want to eat healthy. If you know ahead of time, save some calories. Order what you like but be smart about it. Realize that you will probably go over your goal for the day. I'm not on a diet, I want to eat like this forever. Food can still be enjoyed. That's what this challenge is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment