Monday, July 26, 2010

Harder than I thought

I can't remember if I've ever noticed how incredible difficult it is to make healthy choices about food when you are away from home. While at the family reunion our meals included: family dinner catered at the hotel, restaurants, and a family member's home. At the catered dinner the healthy choices were the usual veggie and fruit trays and dry chicken. That's what I ate but I can't say I enjoyed the food. It served the purpose. Let it be said that other members of the family ate BBQ beef, ribs, potato salad and apple pie as well.
We ate a breakfast, a lunch, and a dinner in restaurants. It was more than a little challenging to find something healthy to eat. Whole wheat toast came buttered, and baked potato came loaded with butter and sour cream without being asked. It was assumed that we would want it that way. Fish is the healthy offering but it too came with breading and butter.
OK so what's my point. Obesity in our country is the norm, not the exception. Being overweight is not unusual, its to be expected. Our restaurants are giving people what they want.......fat.
Making a decision to eat healthy is more of a challenge that I realized. When you can't run home for something you cook yourself you are left to the mercy of our society's norms about food. Even healthy eating shows on Food Network don't last very long.
This is going to be much more of a challenge that I had really expected.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree! I think there are restaurants that have delicious healthy food but they don't exist in small mountain towns. Even though the fish I ordered was served with butter it was very dry and the "steamed veggie" option wasn't steamed, it was creamed with butter and bacon not to mention that it was a starchy vegetable to begin with! I think if you want to eat healthy you kind of have to take it upon yourself to prepare your own food.

    ReplyDelete